The Where U At? Urban Youth Conference is a joint venture between Youth Unlimited and local urban ministries and churches.
The Where U At? Urban Youth Conference continues to grow and change to meet the needs of urban teens. Each year, teens and their leaders look forward to the weekend that will change their lives and launch them into the next step of their spiritual journeys!
- Fully Committed to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and presenting an opportunity for youth to respond and commit their lives to following Him – Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.” ~ Luke 9:23
- Uniting urban ministries to fulfill the great commission – I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.” ~John 17:23
- An intimate venue where youth can connect with God, their leaders and one another through prayer, worship & small group times – “Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well.” ~I Thessalonians 2:8
- Celebrates diversity of urban life within our churches and community through drama, spoken word, dance, praise and worship. Diversity is reflected in age, race, ethnicity, denomination, gender and the use of gifts of the Holy Spirit. – “After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10 And they cried out in a loud voice: “Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.” ~ Revelation 7:9-10
- Relevant– From workshops to speakers, dramas to testimonies, youth learn to connect their faith in Christ to their home, school, block and everyday life – “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” ~Acts 1:8
- For Youth By Youth – Provides a place where teens can use their gifts to show their peers how to walk it out for Christ – “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.” ~I Timothy 4:12
- Needs Your Gifts, Support & Participation! – “For even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. 17 Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account.” ~Philippians 4:16-17
In 2005, urban youth leaders were inspired by the Holy Spirit to find an affordable alternative to high priced, suburban focused conferences that didn’t speak the language or reflect the diversity of their youth ministries. After brainstorming ideas, they realized that the only way to do this was to empower teenagers to plan a relevant conference that would meet their need to connect with Christ and break down the traditional walls that kept churches from working together to minister to youth. Thus, the Where U At? Urban Youth Conference was born and first event held in the spring of 2006.
Over the years over 35 different churches, schools and para-church organizations have participated in this life changing conference where they’ve seen deliverance and genuine transformation in the lives of their students. Over 1400 youth have been impacted by the conference from Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Chicago and Detroit. Many of whom have come back to help lead and serve in areas where they are gifted, from hospitality to worship, drama to tech teams.
The name (Where U At?) was chosen because of its connection to Genesis 3:1-8 when Adam and Eve tried to hide from God because of their sin. So many of us do this same thing –hide behind meaningless things, jeopardizing our true identity as children of the King in order to cover up our sin. The goal of each conference is for participants to ask “Where am I at?”. Our hope is that they will be able to identify an answer and boldly take the next step to grow in their faith.
With the help of Youth Unlimited, who had a breadth of experience in planning dynamic youth conferences, Where U At? became the answer to our prayers as youth pastors who serve a diverse audience of youth and desired a conference that would break down the walls of denomination, race and neighborhood distinctions within our city.
Our goal is to continue to see Where U At? grow and transform to meet the needs of churches and youth serving organizations. We hope that you will consider how you can become part of the legacy that God is leaving through humble servants who have a desire to see Christ as King in our cities.